June 25, 2008

I Wanna Give You Tomorrow

Firstly, I apologize for the lull.

This song, although still peripherally related, was written almost a decade after most of the the soul music I love, by a white man from New Jersey (although you'd never be able to tell from his voice).






Fondly(?) referred to as a "Blue-Eyed Soul Brother" by the press, Troy released a few moderately successful soul-influenced disco hits, and this is certainly one of them. "I Wanna Give You Tomorrow" was released in 1976, on De-Lite Records, and as a single, it managed to do respectably well in both the US and the UK, and remains possibly his most well-loved song.

I was originally going to adhere more rigidly to posting 60's soul, but I thought that the polished sound of club disco, the swoopy string glissandos, and the husky machismo of Benny Troy would either work really well slowed, or get completely obliterated by the process. The result is somewhere in between.

Here's the original.

1 comment:

Breeze said...

This song is so fabulous that Benny Troy's voice (fabulous also) could have a NEW major hit as a slow winner!!!! But....in Benny Troy's REAL key, vocally!!!