July 2, 2008

Yes, I'm Ready

Barbara Mason's "Yes, I'm Ready" was released in 1965, when she was an 18 year old girl from Philadelphia. The sheer earnestness with which she sings confirms the fact that she wrote it herself.



"Yes, I'm Ready," as the title suggests, is a coming-of-age song, sang by a girl who has just agreed to try love for the first time. And, even though she doesn't know much about how to be in love, she is now willing to try, and to learn. Wowee!

Watching her performances of this song, the diffidence that Mason exudes reveal that she is not only learning how to be in love, but is learning how to be a pop singer. The genuine sweetness of her words, coupled with her syrupy portamento (that immediately reminded me of Hope Sandoval, 25 year earlier) creates one of the most earnest and beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Here's the original.

No comments: